Monday, June 8, 2015

One (baby) Step At A Time

The Mana engine rebuild took about six weeks and went well...so well that I decided to rebuild everything! .........yay.

Although Mana was getting powerful, it had also become somewhat cumbersome to use. Despite my best efforts, there were too many dependencies and that made results hard to predict in some cases. In my mind, the best games (usually) have simple rules that combine for great variety in gameplay. Thinking along those lines, my approach to Mana architecture was to create the simplest rule set possible. At least, that was the theory.

However, every idea spawns more ideas and more complexity. As Mana evolved, it finally dawned on me around the end of 2013 that Mana's defining feature was an application building block system that I had implemented on top of a bunch of other things...remnants of ideas that I was loathe to abandon.

So, it's time to move on.

I am currently breaking Mana into smaller, more manageable, and more flexible, pieces. By the end of the summer, I expect all of its functionality will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment